18 September 2008

Beginning Blog

My days as a blogger have just begun and let me tell you, my thoughts don't always make perfect sense, the way I work through issues is to talk about it aloud or to write about them. My grammar is not perfect either, much less my spelling- and I want to be an Elementary Teacher- go figure. I have been learning an awful lot about what makes a good teacher. In class we have also been talking a lot about why do we teach? For what purpose do we obtain our education, this is the most basic and essential question to answer; if you do not know what it is you want your students to learn, they will not be successful. It is this question, WHY? that influences legislature and laws about education. No Child Left Behind is an extremely controversal law that was signed in 2002. The philosophy behind it is wonderful, meaning that no child, no exceptions, no excuses should be behind in learning as a result of the instruction they receive. It is important to hold teachers accountable and to continue improving a system that perpetuates the racists and discriminatory beliefs at a bureaucratic level, regardless of discrimination and racism on a personal level. So what do I hope to gain from this class? I hope to have a better understanding of the legislature that will affect my job, I hope to have a sense of purpose when I enter my classroom. I hope that this class answers questions I have not yet thought of.

No comments: