27 October 2008

School Board Forum

This evening's forum was extremely affirming of how I have been feeling about NCLB. I know that for schools who can not meet the requirements are struggling because of test scores, but it makes me happy to know that in most places school districts are learning to adapt to the requirements. It is encouraging to know that because NCLB has forced research based criteria for the classroom many new improvements are occuring. It was interesting to hear about what exactly the School Boards role in a community is, I have never realized how important it is to elect compotent caring people to represent the towns wishes for the education of their children. I found it very intriguing that both brought up the subject of buildings and facilities being a huge factor in school districts and that having things be outdated or not in the best condition, etc. can be a rode block or hinder the education process. This reminds me of the book my group is reading, "Three Cups of Tea" where Greg Mortenson provides schools so that education can occur. It is so important to have the facilities necessary to support learning. I am looking forward to more discussion about the role of research in the classroom and how teachers must now be held accountable for implementing this into their curriculum and lesson plans.

3 comments:

Laura Davis said...

So true! I agree that it is so important to hire caring, compassionate individuals to lend their expertise about what goes on "behind the classroom." I was so glad to have heard these people talk on Monday night's lecture!

Beth Gonia said...

Lara

I agree that it was interesting to once again here school-related professionals discussing No Child Left Behind in a more positive format. It is encouraging to hear that schools are able to adapt to the legislation.

Anonymous said...

School board Cartoon.