04 November 2008

A Word from the Teachers

Last evening our Educational Psychology classes heard from three teachers in the Decorah Public School system. We had the chance to ask them many questions about teaching. It was wonderful to hear the opinions of a variety of teachers at different stages in their careers. I fully appreciated their honesty about the amount of work that I will be puting into my career, that I may need a second job to pay for bills, that I will feel consumed by my job. These are all scenarios that I have anticipated, knowing that I too am going to want the best for my students and that first year I will have much to learn. We heard these teachers opinions about all the testing now required for students, the impression I recieved was that while they may be a bit of a hassle, they do for the most part accomplish what they are supposed to. Teachers can and are required to analyze the results and make adjustments in their curriculum accordingly. I also appreciated their advice about getting along with your coworkers and maintaining good relationships with everyone in the building. After having had the chance to observe my old elementary school and the cheerful, friendly atmosphere I know that is the kind of place I want to work. It is not only best for your sanity and will make your life easier to be on good terms with the variety of people who work at the school, it is also better for the children. Again, more great advise was to never be discouraged by those teachers who are reluctant and even defiant of change. We must be continually assessing our students and making instructional decisions based on their needs not on the basis that "it has worked" for the past twenty years. Great teaching definitely involves the use of many different strategies and there are always new methods and theories out their which can enhance the learning in your classroom.

No comments: